Zhouzhuang, China's Venice:)

The first look at this painting, "it's that in Venice?"
Keep looking... "hey wait, there is a Chinese boat and red lanterns. All the buildings are Chinese style, and the two pillars on the arch bridge..."

Yeah, right, it's in China.
This is in a small town called Zhouzhuang. Zhouzhuang is one of the most famous water townships in Chian, located in Kunshan City, which is near Suzhou City, Jiangsu Province. In an area of half a square kilometer (124 acres), 60 percent of the Zhouzhuang's structures were built during the Ming and Qing Dynasties, which is from 1368 to 1911.

Zhouzhuagn is neither my home town, nor I have relatives there. I've only been there once and that was when I was six. That is too young for me to remember anything there, but as I grow up, I always see pictures of its beauty and I miss this place so much.
Although I've never been to Venice, I think Zhouzhuang is as worthy to visit in China as Venice in Italy. There are many pretty Chinese bridges over the water, nice temples and gardens on the land, and boats that take tourists around the town. 
You can't miss the experience of spending a relaxing holiday in a traditional and cultural atmosphere in this small town . 


Hey, go back to my painting. 
Most Chinese paintings about Venice are very stylish, with soft colors and hazy  feelings. In contrast of my painting, I use strong opposite colors to create a scene of this peaceful small town in dusk, with acrylic paints on canvas board.

This is my painting process. I like how cool it is!
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Absolute Zero:)

    I like the idea of putting progressive steps for the completion of your masterpiece. That helps layman like me to know a bit how you worked on it. Like also your choice of contrasts. Maybe because you choose dusk as theme when light and dark is quite tearing apart.

    Are people nowadays in ZhouZhuang enjoying tranquil life so much? That is so attractive to me in your painting!! Wonder when maybe you paint Jiuzhaigou?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi IMPRESSION image,

    I'm glad to hear that you like my painting:). Yes, I really like the tranquil lifestyle in Zhouzhuang, however, it must be very popular during holidays because of visitors from all around the world.
    It's my first time to take pictures of my steps of painting and it is FUN. I actually have no clue what to do for a painting until I actually start doing it, and I always get new ideas which move me on while I'm working. It's interesting for me as well to look at my painting process.

    九寨沟!Terrific idea!!!!!!
    It is a paradise, and it's always been my dream to go there. I will be working on a vivid painting of Jiuzhaigou one day! It's grateful to bring the beauty of nature onto canvases, and it will be a joyful opportunity to play with beautiful colors for the painting of Jiuzhaigou!

    Hope you can visit China one day:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete