How to Make a Sister

The greatest challenge in my life is when 3 years ago, moving to Canada, and learning English. 
The second greatest challenge is this painting.


That was in my grade 12 painting class last semester. Our culminating assignment was a typical high school art project, self-portrait. I've done many self-portraits in various styles, but I had never painted a full-body portrait. In fact, I almost had no experience on drawing human body.
I got my canvas a week before Christmas. It was 30 by 60 in, almost my height and almost $50.
$50 for a plain canvas for a school project is pretty expensive. 
I told myself it was a Christmas treat for me in order to make myself feel less guilty, haha.


So before I started my painting, on my sketch book, I explored many compositions and poses. 
Like I said, I never really drew much full-body figures before. Everything just come naturally from daily observation. 

We also did a few quick practice paintings on self-portraits in class. 
It was for practising using complimentary and analogous colours. 
I did it in front of a mirror for maybe half an hour each. It doesn't look like me that much, but the face always reminds me of another friend haha. 


After Christmas break, I started on my painting. 
It was a lot of work to do. I started to realize 30 by 60 is a really big size. 
I spent nights and weekends on it because I just couldn't concentrate fast and well enough in a 20-people class during 40 min only session. 

I changed the background from purple to green and then to yellow.




After a few plastic surgeries on my "face"....
Yeah, it really looked like myself!!
haha, she became my best friend and came to annoy me every day....

In the end, I change my background to blue and it looked so different.
The figure just feels pop out more and the colour matches the colour i used for the figure; and the nice blue really represent my personality.




The sweater is my favourite part of my painting.

It really brings me lots of tears and joy. 
Just like having sibling or childhood friend, lots of fights and good time. LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment