Art Class at School (1)

Unfortunately and luckily, visual art classes in my school was full when I went to grade 10.  Media art became the first art class I took in Canada.  My English was poor at that time and I knew nothing about how photoshop (I'm just a computer idiot).  Without any advantage, I wished I would survive this class. Well, I didn't expect the teacher, Miss M., is so wonderful and nice to me. She always give me respect, encouragement and extra help.  And yah, I was creative and hard-working. I had a delicate sketch book and eventually, to my surprise, I got the top mark in my class:).
One of the biggest projects we made in class is called a "shrine" which is a box with an icon you choose for it.  My icon is the figures in Beijing Opera (Peking Opera).



Materials for the shrine.
 I don't think most of Chinese teenagers know traditional operas like Beijing Opera very much, however, as a newcomer to Canada, I wanted to show the awesomeness from my country to whilte people and those Chinese kids who are not aware of Chinese culture in my class.
Then I started to study Beijing Opera, do a lot of research and watch vedios. I fell in love with Beijing Opera, the costumes and the make-up.

On a Friday, I got all the materials I needed, a box from super market, construction paper, glue sticks, college paper and some pictures I had printed out.
And then, I started working, for so many hours, oh my god.




What my shrine looks like in the end.

It's a scene of  a traditional opera theatra, with actors performing on the stage and audiunce sitting at the table, drinking tea and cheering and clapping for the show.
The sides of the box are masks of Beijing Opera.

in side and outside of the shrine.



No comments:

Post a Comment